Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Graduation

There is a good reason they call these ceremonies "commencement exercises."  Graduation is not the end; it's the beginning.  ~Orrin Hatch


I'll bet y'all didn't know this, but exactly 9 years ago today I was graduating high school. At exactly 2:00pm I lined up with seventy-something other homeschoolers that I didn't know, received my diploma, moved my tassel and threw my cap up in the air for the cheesy routine group cap throwing picture.


 Some days it doesn't seem like it's possible that 9 years have gone by and other days it feels like so much more.

Last week I wrote a post about how I felt like my life hadn't gone anywhere since graduating high school. While I sometimes do feel that way, when I take a step back and look at things for what they really are I realize that I've done a lot. I've been a lot of places and I've learned a lot of things.


Since high school I've:


*Learned that it's not always about a college degree.


*Learned how to work my way up through a company and be successful without compromising my values and morals.


*Realized that sometimes  it's best to just let things go.


*Understood reasons why my mom & dad told me certain things.


*Learned that it's OK to look back at your former self and laugh at some of the silly things you did.


*Learned to admit when I'm wrong.


*Realized that standing up for what you believe in may not make you win in the short term, but you'll always come out ahead in the long term.


*Learned that just because something says it's healthy doesn't mean it really is.


*Learned how to change a tire, recognize almost any engine sound & diagnose the problem and consequently the places in Memphis that have the worst cell service.


*Learned that "killing with kindness" always, always works.


*Realized that living by yourself sucks, but beats rooming with a friend and losing the friendship because being roommates will almost always cost you the friendship.








I definitely haven't learned everything there is to know yet and I may not have checked some important things off my to-do list, but I've done alright. 


I always think of my graduation when May 12th rolls around and usually I chide myself for how far I "haven't come." Not this year! This year I'm only focusing on the positive! Because the main thing that I needed to realize and keep telling myself was that I'm right where God wants me to be & I'm there for a higher purpose than I can imagine. 




4 comments:

  1. Good for you! It's been 10 years for me, and while I'm not exactly where I thought I'd be, I LOVE where I'm at in most respects, and it's great to focus on the positive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love this. You truly learn a whole lot more during the years AFTER high school then you do during the years spent in high school!!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always amazing to me how fast time flies! And how quickly we pick up skills and lessons we never thought we'd need/know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great post. All of your "things learned" are so, so, so true and so important. We have to experience most of them over and over again before we will realize. I am so glad that this year you are focusing on all that you have accomplished and done. You have done so much and are such an AMAZING person!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it.....